The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $cookielaw - Line: 21 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 21 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 54 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 54 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$cookielaw_footer - Line: 22 - File: global.php(1070) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(1070) : eval()'d code 22 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 1070 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canviewdeletionnotice" - Line: 117 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 117 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canviewdeletionnotice" - Line: 414 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 414 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canviewdeletionnotice" - Line: 939 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 939 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1121 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canviewdeletionnotice" - Line: 939 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 47 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Home | Contact | Privacy | About |

{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Growing My Duckweed
Like I said before in this thread, I finally found duckweed. But I don't have enough space to build a big earthen pond where I'll plant them. so I'm presently keeping them alive in a small basin until I can get sufficient space. I've also harvested some and dry them. I fed some to my broilers.

Some challenges to expect include algae growth and mosquito. Algae are those slimy green things you see on dirty water. You'll find them in gutters and stagnant waters. Some times the algae will try to outgrow the duckweed. I tackle this by either using a stick to get out excess algae or by changing the water. When you change water, wash the duckweed well and put them on the clean water. Add liquid fertilizer and lime to the water. This will help the duckweed to grow faster and cover the water surface - thus blocking sunlight from reaching the algae.

With mosquito, I've not found any solution yet. But I'm considering raising fish in another bowl next to the duckweed bowls. Hopefully, the fish will help cut down mosquito population not only in the duckweed pond, but in the area in general.
That is why it is always good to start everything small and learn. Thanks for sharing.
@henlus, which liquid fertilize did u use?
Poultry manure soaked in water to extract the nutrients.
pls can you post picture of duck weed
Pls how can I contact you, I need to see the duck weed and visit your broiler farm for adequate training
(02-12-2016, 07:58 PM)Henlus Wrote: Some challenges to expect include algae growth and mosquito. Algae are those slimy green things you see on dirty water. You'll find them in gutters and stagnant waters. Some times the algae will try to outgrow the duckweed. I tackle this by either using a stick to get out excess algae or by changing the water. When you change water, wash the duckweed well and put them on the clean water. Add liquid fertilizer and lime to the water. This will help the duckweed to grow faster and cover the water surface - thus blocking sunlight from reaching the algae.

With mosquito, I've not found any solution yet. But I'm considering raising fish in another bowl next to the duckweed bowls. Hopefully, the fish will help cut down mosquito population not only in the duckweed pond, but in the area in general.

UPDATE: An effective way to control algae is by shading the duckweed from excessive sunlight. It seems to grow best under this condition.
As for mosquitoes, fish can't do a good job. Better leave it that way or cover with mosquito net. Or plant some lemon grass roung the duckweed pond.
(06-07-2017, 10:51 PM)Gbenga Wrote: Pls how can I contact you, I need to see the duck weed and visit your broiler farm for adequate training

I posted some pictures here: http://www.farmersjoint.com/thread-274.html. Where is your location?
(02-15-2016, 07:35 AM)Henlus Wrote: Poultry manure soaked in water to extract the nutrients.

Like how long do u soak it in water?
(09-04-2017, 08:33 AM)Trimex Wrote: Like how long do u soak it in water?

like a week or more. But do it somewhere far from homes. It smells.
(02-12-2016, 07:39 PM)Henlus Wrote: Like I said before in this thread, I finally found duckweed. But I don't have enough space to build a big earthen pond where I'll plant them. so I'm presently keeping them alive in a small basin until I can get sufficient space. I've also harvested some and dry them. I fed some to my broilers.
Please house I need help on where to find water lettuce in Lagos or Ogun state
Please where can I find this duckweed in Lagos or Ogun state...thanks
(05-17-2021, 03:52 PM)Lajustin Wrote: Please where can I find this duckweed in Lagos or Ogun state...thanks

Take pictures of it on your phone. Then go to areas close to streams, ponds and ask people if they have seen something like that. Also visit dry season farmers.
alriht..thanks
(02-15-2016, 07:35 AM)Henlus Wrote: Poultry manure soaked in water to extract the nutrients.

The soaking must be done in an open basin for enough oxygen to enter. Else, a toxic liquid will be the end result.
Never heard of duck weed before. Is it a good protein source?
(09-13-2021, 12:41 PM)Pamcode Wrote: Never heard of duck weed before. Is it a good protein source?
Yes, I've watched videos where they grow it in hactares for carp fish. It can also be fed to pigs, chickens, goats etc. When dried, it contains 20-40% crude protein. The actual amount will depend on how well you fertilize it. You can read more about it here: http://www.fao.org/ag/aga/agap/frg/lrrd/lrrd7/1/3.htm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Luxurious Moissanite Rings for Every Occasion taylordavis 0 5 9 hours ago
Last Post: taylordavis
  How to Encourage Goats to Drink more Water Henlus 0 81 12-10-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Henlus
  Melange Farming of Catfish more profitable Sendrix 0 77 10-19-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Sendrix
  Pig Farming: Hot Useful Tips Henlus 37 710 10-01-2023, 01:36 PM
  Space Requirement for Layers Hilux 1 2,357 09-28-2023, 07:27 PM
  Goats: How much feed will a goat need per day Manihot 15 20,758 09-17-2023, 10:02 PM
  Broiler Feed and Growth Chart Henlus 6 252 03-24-2023, 11:10 PM
  House Size For Chicken Charly 2 4,248 03-15-2023, 07:38 PM
  Chickens: Feed Consumption and Growth Rate Chart? Trimex 4 3,862 01-20-2023, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Hunter
  Prevention and Treatment of Coccidiosis in Chickens Henlus 15 12,713 12-04-2022, 10:47 AM