FarmersJoint.com

Full Version: I Finally Found Duckweed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I usually thought that you can only get duckweed from riverine areas but lo and behold, I found it growing in somebody's backyard! I have also seen at somebody's backyard in Lagos but that was when I did not know about it. Attached is the picture.
[Image: duckweed.jpg]
In case you don't know, you can get duckweed, dry and grind it. Because of the high protein content, you can use it in formulating feed for livestock and poultry. It will help to further reduce feed cost.
Is it good for broiler chicks?
Not very good. It's good for broilers of 4wks old and up.
Do you have any good feed formula that uses duckweed?
(02-24-2016, 03:08 AM)Ada Wrote: [ -> ]Is it good for broiler chicks?

Yes, but you must dry it under shade to get rid of water. Fresh duckweed contains over 90% water. So if u feed them to ur broilers fresh, u're feeding mainly water. Don't dry under the sun to avoid nutrient loss. @Henlus, have u gotten any feed fmla that include dry duckweed?
How can I get duckweed to cultivate please.
(04-22-2020, 09:22 PM)Scouty247 Wrote: [ -> ]How can I get duckweed to cultivate please.

Look around you. Especially in riverine areas. Ask people too. I once say it flourishing in a dirty roadside gutter.
(12-22-2015, 07:08 PM)Henlus Wrote: [ -> ]I usually thought that you can only get duckweed from riverine areas but lo and behold, I found it growing in somebody's backyard! I have also seen at somebody's backyard in Lagos but that was when I did not know about it. Attached is the picture.
[Image: duckweed.jpg]