FarmersJoint.com

Full Version: Maggots as Fish Feed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interesting finding:

You can produce maggots from fibrous vegetable material and poultry droppings. You’ll need something like a tank with a capacity of one cubic metre (1m3). Fill it with water until the water level is about 15cm from the top. Then dried stalks of maize, amaranth, groundnut, soya and other legumes are soaked in the water and some poultry droppings are added. Flies will come and lay their eggs in the soaked material. After five to seven days, the eggs will hatched and larvae would have attended a large enough size. Beyond 7 days, the maggots will develop into adult flies.

You must cover the tank to protect the eggs from intense sunlight. If you don’t, up to 50 percent of the eggs will die.

You can produce maggots this way, dry them and use it to formulate feed for various animals.

Another mtd is described here: http://www.farmersjoint.com/thread-301.html. I've tried it out!
[attachment=61]
(01-12-2015, 11:37 PM)Henlus Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting finding:

You can produce maggots from fibrous vegetable material and poultry droppings. You’ll need something like a tank with a capacity of one cubic metre (1m3). Fill it with water until the water level is about 15cm from the top. Then dried stalks of maize, amaranth, groundnut, soya and other legumes are soaked in the water and some poultry droppings are added. Flies will come and lay their eggs in the soaked material. After five to seven days, the eggs will hatched and larvae would have attended a large enough size. Beyond 7 days, the maggots will develop into adult flies.

You must cover the tank to protect the eggs from intense sunlight. If you don’t, up to 50 percent of the eggs will die.

You can produce maggots this way, dry them and use it to formulate feed for various animals.

is it possible to raise an appreciable amount of maggots from this method
I think it's possible, but unlike earthworms, I've not seen any documents that state the kg you can get from this method. I'm still searching though.
With flies, there is usually a lot of maggots.
(01-18-2015, 01:50 PM)Henlus Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's possible, but unlike earthworms, I've not seen any documents that state the kg you can get from this method. I'm still searching though.

thanks for d reply,pls kindly let us know d outcome of ur research
Wow! A priceless info
Wow. This information is priceless
(01-18-2015, 01:50 PM)Henlus Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's possible, but unlike earthworms, I've not seen any documents that state the kg you can get from this method. I'm still searching though.

I finally found it. An area of 1m x 1m can yield 2.5-3.5kg fresh maggots.
Great info